Thursday, August 18, 2011

You Can't Go Home Again

After a holiday in Tanzania and Kenya (which I might write about here), I returned to Nkokonjeru to do some combination of picking up my extra bags, wrapping up work, and visiting people. Things have changed already!

The first was at least a little expected. Much like a college student returning home for the holidays hoping just for a few nights in her own bed and to do some free laundry only to find that her room has been redecorated, I found that my room at the guesthouse had been reappropriated. Since I placed the things I was giving away laid out on the desk and floor of my room when I initially left, my room became the giveaway room. It's currently strewn with odds and ends like leftover sunscreen and tools, though the current guesthouse occupants also still use it as a movie room.

Second, the SACCO has hired a fourth employee! Congratulations, Martha.

Third, there is a fence smack in the middle of the path I usually use as a shortcut. :(


Even Kampala has changed! The Shell gas station I usually use as my landmark for getting of the matatu to Red Chilli is now some other brand of petrol station. I keep forgetting what the new name is, but it's something green and yellow.

Life marches on. The return to Nkokonjeru has been really good, though of course all the work-related things were behind schedule (TIA).

I added a last few photos to the album. Unfortunately, I seem to have lost my flash drive en route, so it may be a while longer before we can post all the pictures that I took off of David's computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment